JC's Musings

CLICK THIS LINK FOR
JC'S ORIGINAL EC47 WEBSITE

SCROLL DOWN AND JOIN IN THE CONVERSATION WITH JC WHEELER

Here is the content of an email we received recently from JC sharing some of his latest medical issues.

March 6, 2021
My last drive

Well, I guess I should let everyone know a bit about my memory. On Feb. 5th, 2021 while driving I had what some might call a seizure.

In a conversation with my wife, she said I quit responding and still traveling down the highway eyes straight ahead and both hands on the wheel.

Then it was off on the right-hand side into the ditch, off a tree, and into two of the units of a Storage Building complex.

The wife was able to make it out of the wreckage in a short time but tells me it was maybe half an hour before I was to be extracted.

After the hospital visit, we were released with only minor injuries. I have Zero Memories of any of this and the next several hours.

The insurance adjuster said he quit when he reached $35,000 in damages. The car had only 7,000 miles but I got a new one free and clear.

I am now no longer to be behind the wheel, NO MORE DRIVING. And I will tell you that having to have someone to drive you everywhere you have to go is not good.

I am seeing numerous doctors (specialist etc.)
Hope this never catches any of you.

J.C.

Comments (8)

• Tom Nurre Wed, 07 Apr 2021 at 03:18 PM Permanent Link to Comment Link
    Hello JC and all our website viewers. We sure hope this new feature provides an easy way to send greetings to JC and wish him well. If you would like JC (or any other viewers) to contact you directly, please include your email address or phone number in this Comment section of this online form. Sent from [email protected]
  • J.C. Wheeler Wed, 07 Apr 2021 at 04:13 PM Permanent Link to Comment Link
    I would like to First say Thank You to Tom and Joe for taking over for me 7 years ago.  My short term memory got so I could no longer maintain the web-site.
    Next I will try and answer any questions.  Also I hope you can and will share any of your mission activities here for others to read.
    Running Short on Time, we need to preserve our part of history. I was 28 then and will be 83 in June.
    And as always,  That was the Best Year of my 20 year career because of My Crew (I am the sole survivor), The Aircraft,  and The Mission we flew.
  • W. Doug Milton Wed, 07 Apr 2021 at 08:39 PM Permanent Link to Comment Link
    JC
    Hang in there buddy, you have been thru a lot.
    1968/9 was a memorable year for me also, but can’t say it was the best, my tour at Wakannai Air Station was my favorite as a Linguist.
    My most harrowing moments are etched in my mind and I live with those quite often.
    I do miss those reunions at San Antonio and other venues.
    Later,
    Doug Milton
  • Dallas Ward Wed, 07 Apr 2021 at 09:37 PM Permanent Link to Comment Link
    JC,
    If you're in Bridgeport, TX you can have a free ride anytime.  Your compatriots in the 362nd TEWS carried me safely in and out of Pleiku during all of 1969, so I'd be glad to return the favor.
    Dallas Ward
  • Tom Angstadt Thu, 08 Apr 2021 at 08:13 PM Permanent Link to Comment Link
    Thank you for your service to our great country and also your service to fellow C-47 crew! I stumbled on your website some years back and returned to it often. I was a 202 at NKP from 6/69 to 6/70. Many good memories and I had the pleasure of serving with some very skilled and smart people. My only regret is that we never got feedback on how effective our missions were.
      We served for each other and for those on the ground who may have benefited from our efforts.  Tom Angstadt
  • Tom Nurre Fri, 09 Apr 2021 at 02:38 PM Permanent Link to Comment Link
    Hi JC...
    We are coordinating the purchase of an EC-47 Memorial Plaza paver for 362nd TEWS First Sergeant, MSgt Charley Vernon Neely. Here is some information sent by his son, Richard Neely. This was a different squadron than yours and he was a bit after your time, but wondering if you or anyone else reading this Comment ever crossed paths with Charley. He was the First Sergeant at the 362nd TEWS at Pleiku from 1968-1969.
    More info from Richard Neely:
    My father's career covered 27 years starting from the U.S. Army Air Corps (or Air Force) to the creation of the U..S. Air Force to his retirement in 1969 at Eglin AFB. He served as a tail-gunner on a B-24 with the 8th Air Force in WWII flying 35 missions (awarded the DFC).  He served during Korea but to my knowledge never served in-country.  While at Altus AFB (KC-135 SAC) he was wearing the Viet Nam Campaign (yellow one) ribbon.
    A little about the son Richard:
    Leaving Altus AFB we headed over to Walker AFB in Roswell, New Mexico.  It was here, much to my parent's dismay, at age 18, I joined the U.S. Naval Reserves (enlisted in the Carlsbad Surface Division).
    I attended New Mexico Military Institute for the year after high school graduation - which was a bad academic year for me.  Enrolling in Moorhead State College in Moorhead, Minnesota where my maternal grandmother lived. I ran aground and finally, (lacking common sense or whatever) joined the Marines and made "meritorious" Private and went to Recruit Training at MCRD San Diego.    Not doing very well in Radar Fire Control Tech school, I married and moved to the 2nd MAW at MCAS Cherry Point, NC where I became an Aviation Electrician.  From there, I was caught up in a replacement draft and ended up going to Viet Nam in 1969 (to 1970) to VMFA-115 as an electrician and leaving days after VMFA was moved to Da Nang from Chu Lai.
    Genealogy research of my family shows I had a cousin, Army PFC Gordon M. Gunhus, (Kenyon, Minnesota) who was KIA on Easter Sunday in 1970.  VMFA-115 marked my departure by having rockets cook off one of the aircraft while parked in the revetments.  I have more cousins who served in Viet Nam, but Gordon sticks out like a sore thumb.
    ///edited text///
    Respectfully,
    Richard (Rick) V. Neely
    USNR 1964-1967
    USMC 1967 - 1989

JC, let us know if you knew of First Sergeant Charley Neely...or if you have stories about any other noted First Sergeant(s) in the TEWS squadrons. Thanks
    Tom -
  • J.C. Wheeler Fri, 09 Apr 2021 at 08:30 PM Permanent Link to Comment Link
    Rick I am sorry but I never met or communicate with your father.  I wish I could be of some help but with my loss of memory especially short term is all but gone.  Keep searching around on the sight you just might stumble on to something,                            Tom, I really think we would be better off if I just got off the bus.  Sorry, J.C.
  • Tom Nurre Fri, 09 Apr 2021 at 09:07 PM Permanent Link to Comment Link
    JC...will keep this page active for a while to allow others to drop a line if they wish. If that doesn't work out, can't say we didn't try. Stay in touch. Tom

New Comment